Sunday, April 30, 2017

Carl Fischer alto.........Malerne!


So this little beauty came in to the shop this week, its marked Carl Fischer but is a stencil by Malerne of France.

These are nice horns!  This one has really nice looking lacquer,  a sharp engraving,  and is well built. I personally wouldn't say these are up to the build quality of a Beaugnier,  but,  they certainly sound good and can be had cheap!

You'll  notice in the pic the neck has some pull down happening.  I do fix this sort of thing but I take it on a case by case basis.  In this case the neck fit in the socket was perfect and the instrument plays fantastic as-is.  The angle of the neck is also still comfortable so I decided to leave it as is,  I really like to be able to offer super affordable, playable, vintage instruments to folks.   In this case fixing the neck wouldn't have made the horn play better but would have taken some time,  then I would be inclined to charge more.  Heck,  I'm busy these days!

Anyway I'm pleased with these old French altos,  this one will make someone very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment