Thursday, February 8, 2018

Evette & Schaeffer by Malerne alto





So I've posted previously about some other Evette & Schaeffer horns,  an alto and tenor both made for Buffet by Santoni in Italy.
Here's a different example, still made for Buffet, but by Malerne of France.  These were made earlier than the Italian made horns, probably 1960's if I had to guess.

I love this horn!  The patina to the body,  the key guard design,  the sound.  Its a fantastic horn.  In this case the horn didn't need any new pads, which is a miracle really.  I almost always have to replace a few pads in the refurbishment process.   The pads are older plain riveted style but somehow have mostly remained soft and in tact over the years.
After a full tear down and setup I was pleased as punch to find this horn plays and sounds as good as it looks.  I am admittedly a Francophile, so maybe I'm biased, but I like these Malerne made horns a tiny bit more than the Italian ones (which are totally solid).

Particularly this horn just sings in the upper register.

Also the original case looks very cool.  Too bad the horn just flops around inside it! (very common for older cases).

No comments:

Post a Comment