Friday, December 29, 2017

1950's Conn 6M alto sax


Well here ya go folks,  a Conn 6M from the 50's,  also known as the "Naked Lady".  At this point in production there was just a lady in a window in the engraving.
Also at this point the microtunter neck was gone as were the rolled tone holes.
This horn has almost all of its lacquer gone!
Its been around the block but really in decent shape all in all.  A few dings, some scratches, some key play, plier marks from past repairs.   But with new pads this baby plays well!  After some key work and of course a cosmetic upgrade (polishing/buffing the brass or re-lacquer) this horn will make someone very happy.
I love the key work setup on these,  its very fast and comfortable.  To be quite honest I prefer the tone of other saxophones, but I've yet to play a rolled tone hole 6M so maybe they have the sound I like.  There's nothing wrong at all about the sound of this horn,  to my ears its more modern sounding than many vintage horns,  but to me the "sound" that gets me going is something along the lines of a Buescher True Tone...................!

No comments:

Post a Comment