Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Carl Fischer Bb clarinet





Here's another one of those "under the radar" instruments.

Carl Fischer was a large musical instrument distributor and shop in NY for many years.  They never manufactured their own instruments but contracted out to other companies to make them,  then the put the Fischer name on.   They had a good reputation and tended to have mostly quality instruments (at least as far as woodwinds are concerned.)
I know for sure as far as clarinets go they contracted with Buffet, Couesnon, and Pruefer.

This particular instrument is marked Carl Fischer but otherwise I don't have any clues as to who made the horn.  I looked all over for the small "france" or other markings I often find on stencil instruments. 
A few things can be noted that will date the instrument.  The left and pinky keys are on one post, the body under the right hand pinky's is carved out,  and it has an old style thumb rest.   I would say this instrument is pre 1930.  
Its all wood, no cracks,  and plays well!  The pads are interesting,  at first I thought they were cork or leather but upon inspection they seem to be some sort of man-made material?  They are still working, that's all I know!
I'm sure I'll be seeing some more of these over the years,  they turn up fairly frequently on Ebay and other places. 

No comments:

Post a Comment